Digital Media Coordinator
Population Connection and Population Connection Action Fund are seeking an energetic, articulate, detail-oriented Digital Media Coordinator to maintain the two sister organizations’ websites and social media accounts.
The Digital Media Coordinator will work in our downtown DC office and will collaborate with staff in several program departments to keep all content on both websites (populationconnection.org and populationconnectionaction.org) current, accurate, and engaging for our dues-paying members, participating activists, and member volunteers. They will report to the Senior Director of Publications.
The Digital Media Coordinator will also manage the two organizations’ social media presence. Staff members collaborate and share in the task of publishing content, using Buffer to schedule posts, but the Digital Media Coordinator will be expected to post the bulk of the social content each day. This will include organizing and participating in Twitter chats and storms, live tweeting at events (especially our annual Capitol Hill Days event) and during unfolding current events (e.g. presidential debates); creating infographics to share data, news, and poignant quotes on Instagram; and writing original captions for articles shared on Facebook. Replying to comments and engaging with followers on a daily basis is also expected. Some social media engagement will be required outside typical business hours, albeit infrequently.
This entry-level position is ideal for a digitally savvy candidate interested in a non-profit career. They will join a dynamic team of individuals who seek to empower people to make the reproductive health decisions that are best for them. The ideal candidate will be a goal-oriented self-starter. LGBTQ+ people and candidates of color are encouraged to apply.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Writing that is factually accurate, grammatically correct, persuasive, and appropriate for an advocacy audience
- Expertise engaging with digital audiences using Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and LinkedIn
- Ability and willingness to learn new social platforms as they emerge
- Ability to use Buffer to schedule posts and to review and make sense of social media analytics
- Ability to create and edit website content using WordPress and very basic html
- Familiarity with Canva or other infographic-creating platforms
- Good eye for selecting photos and other graphics to accompany social and website posts
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Full commitment to defending reproductive health and rights—including the right to safe abortion
- Enthusiasm for progressive activism
- Dedication to deepening organizations’ relationships with like-minded organizations
- Willingness to work independently and as part of a team, depending on what the task requires
- Task-oriented and outcome-driven; this is a busy—and fun—position!
Salary and Benefits
Starting salary is $45,000 – $50,000, depending on experience.
Population Connection/Population Connection Action Fund offers an excellent benefits package.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Marian Starkey at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Individual Giving Manager
Would you like to work in a supportive, inspiring environment with other staff who are committed to protecting our environment and advancing reproductive health and rights for people around the world?
We are Population Connection! We share the connections between preserving our precious natural resources and a lack of access to reproductive health care and modern contraception around the world. By upholding human rights and ensuring that people everywhere can make the best decisions about whether—and when—to get pregnant or have a child, we can ensure a more equitable, more sustainable future.
We advocate for people everywhere to gain access to effective, affordable modern contraception and reproductive health care. And our nationwide Population Education program trains more than 12,000 teachers and reaches three million K-12 students annually, raising awareness about the impacts of global population growth on our environment and human well-being.
If you care about defending reproductive health and rights … addressing climate change … preserving biodiversity … alleviating poverty … ensuring food and water access … and more … then working with Population Connection could be the dream job for you!
We’re seeking an Individual Giving Manager to work in our San Diego office, conveniently located in Mission Valley. In this role, you will have the opportunity to cultivate donors across the country via phone and personal visits. We fully support professional development and encourage you to continue your learning as a fundraising professional. Join our team!
In this role, you will help to secure funds for Population Connection and Population Connection Action Fund by developing and managing a portfolio of major and planned giving donors and prospects. You will report to the Vice President for Marketing & Development and you’ll work closely with the Director of Individual Giving, as well as other development and marketing staff.
You’ll have the opportunity to build relationships with the many committed donors who make up Population Connection’s membership base. You’ll be able to spend a significant amount of time interacting with donors over the phone and in person.
You’ll manage a portfolio of approximately 150 donors capable of making major or planned gifts.
- Identifying the best prospects for cultivation; ensuring that each donor receives regular contacts according to their preferences; and maintaining or increasing their giving year over year.
- Hosting personal visits with donors capable of making major gifts or interested in making planned gifts to deepen their knowledge and affinity for Population Connection (goal: 10-12 personal visits per month).
- Seeking opportunities to invite or accompany the President & CEO and VP for Marketing & Development on personal visits with high value donors.
- Creating Development materials including proposals, correspondence, and donor profiles; contributing to team efforts to personalize and distribute special mailings.
- Conducting stewardship best practices for recent donors, such as initiating thank you phone calls and writing personal thank you notes or emails.
- Contributing to the Development team’s strategy meetings by thinking creatively about cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship ideas—including ways to involve staff and ambassadors of the organization.
- Collaborating with the Membership Relations Team to engage active volunteers who exhibit a higher capacity to give.
- Recording all substantive donor interactions and capturing critical donor information in our databases.
- Maintaining working knowledge of Population Connection and Population Connection Action Fund program priorities and activities.
- Continuing professional development.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or Associates Degree and equivalent work experience
- Three to five years’ experience using moves management to advance donor relationships in a nonprofit, or equivalent work experience
- Documented experience closing major or planned gifts
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication and presentation skills; demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, comfortably, and respectfully with donors, staff, and volunteers
- Ability to understand and speak compellingly about Population Connection’s mission and to simplify complex themes into short, persuasive presentations or proposals
- Excellent organizational skills; detail oriented with ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously to meet deadlines
- An ability to take personal initiative and work independently as well as to collaborate with others on donor strategies in a team-oriented approach
- Capable of effective remote collaboration with colleagues in Washington, D.C. office
- Proficiency with online databases and Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability and willingness to travel as well as occasionally work irregular hours; must have driver’s license
- Flexibility and a willingness to take on new tasks as the responsibilities of this position evolve
- Fully committed to Population Connection’s mission to defend women’s rights and to protect our environment
- Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO and POS medical coverage—$20/month individual
- Blue Dental coverage—$5/month
- Employer paid life and disability insurance
- 11 paid holidays
- Generous annual and sick leave
- 6% 401(K) match
- ID theft protection service
Our standard work hours are 9 am to 5 pm, with a half hour lunch (37.5 hours/week).
Visit our websites to learn more about our work.
Population Connection offers fellowships in Washington, D.C. for recent college graduates and graduate students with a special interest in population issues. Each fellow has a responsible role working with a specific department and becomes an essential part of that department’s staff.
Email cover letter, resume, and a brief writing sample (1-3 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fellowships are full-time. Compensation is $1,650 (before taxes), paid every two weeks. Fellows earn three hours of annual leave and seven hours of sick leave per pay period. Full medical and dental insurance coverage is offered to fellows who are permanent residents or citizens of the United States.