A donor-advised fund (DAF) provides you with a centralized charitable giving vehicle. DAFs allow individuals, families, and corporations to make irrevocable charitable gifts to nonprofits. You would take an immediate tax deduction upon setting up your DAF with your local community foundation or financial institution, and that institution will make the gifts you designate. Population Connection is grateful for all donations from donor-advised funds and we will work with you to make the giving process simple and efficient.
To give to Population Connection through your donor-advised fund, please provide your fund manager with the following:
Legal Name: Population Connection
If you have a donor-advised fund with a large provider, you may be able to request a distribution to Population Connection through the DAF Direct form below:
For more information on how an existing donor-advised fund may be leveraged for current and legacy giving opportunities, please contact Shauna Scherer, VP for Marketing and Development at (202) 974-7730 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Understanding Donor Advised Funds
What is a donor-advised fund?
A donor-advised fund (DAF) provides donors with a centralized charitable giving vehicle. It allows philanthropically inclined individuals, families, and corporations to make an irrevocable charitable gift to a public charity that sponsors a DAF program and take an immediate tax deduction. Gifts accepted include cash equivalents, securities, and certain other assets.
How does it work?
- Establish your DAF by making an irrevocable, tax-deductible donation to a public charity that sponsors a DAF program.
- Advise the investment allocation of the donated assets (any investment growth is tax-free).
- Recommend grants to qualified public charities of your choice, such as Population Connection.
Main advantages of a donor-advised fund
- Simplicity—The DAF sponsor handles all record keeping, disbursements, and tax receipts.
- Flexibility—Timing of your tax deduction can be separate from your charitable decision making.
- Tax efficiency—Contributions are tax-deductible, and any investment growth in the DAF is tax-free. It is also easy to donate long-term appreciated securities, eliminating capital gains taxes and allowing you to support several charities from one block of stock.
- Family legacy—A DAF is a powerful way to build or continue a tradition of family philanthropy.
- No start-up costs—There is no cost to establish a donor-advised fund. However, there are often minimum initial charitable contributions to establish the DAF (typically $5,000 or more).*
- No transaction fees—Once approved, 100% of your recommended grant goes to your qualified public charity of choice.*
- Privacy if desired—Donors may choose to remain anonymous to the grant recipient.
* Sponsoring organizations generally assess an administrative fee on the assets in a DAF. These fees vary by the charity that sponsors a DAF program.