Membership Relations Coordinator
Population Connection seeks a seasoned membership relations coordinator to join a new team of dedicated, progressive change agents motivating our membership base to take action. The membership relations team will be responsible for recruiting, managing, and coordinating current and prospective Population Connection members who are interested in raising awareness about global population growth and advocating for universal access to voluntary family planning. Team members will be assigned to specific regions where they will manage outreach, recruitment, training, and raising Population Connection’s local profile. This is a new initiative, based in our San Diego, CA office.
We seek highly motivated candidates, excellent writers and verbal communicators, who pay strong attention to detail and can manage multiple deadline-driven projects and events. The right candidates will be dedicated to improving women’s access to voluntary birth control and reproductive health care and dedicated to preserving our natural environment for the next generation.
The membership relations team will track its own metrics, including the number of high-quality phone connections; the number of training sessions offered (either in-person or via webinar); the number of local events and outreach opportunities offered; and the number of new members recruited. The membership relations team will serve as an integral part of the San Diego-based marketing and development team and will share membership goals.
Goals and Activities include:
- Ensuring that our regional and national membership base is active and growing
- Calling on members most likely to be interested in local advocacy and volunteerism
- Developing relationships with involved members and serving as a regular point of contact and motivation
- Designing and distributing Population Connection materials to raise awareness and recruit new members
- Working with members to draft letters to the editor, flyers, talking points, presentations, and other materials for their local use
- Providing training and tools to members and volunteers so that they may succeed in sharing Population Connection’s mission, vision, and goals with their communities
- Supporting the development team with joint initiatives to cultivate our most committed members
- Coordinating with the DC-based field and outreach department to galvanize action for critical legislative issues
- Facilitating communication and support from other program areas
- Developing new methods to increase and motivate our grassroots base
- Seeking out local partnerships with like-minded organizations to support Population Connection’s outreach and enhance local visibility
- Designing and implement training for volunteers and members
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent in experience) and at least 2-4 years experience in community outreach and engagement, with demonstrated success
- Comfortable with cultivating relationships with people of all ages and spending a significant amount of time on the phone
- Able to travel regularly
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Able to work well under pressure while handling multiple projects to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent verbal communication and writing skills, and computer proficiency
- Able to establish and maintain professional interpersonal relationships; able to motivate others
- Strong interest in global population, reproductive health and rights, and the environment, and able to demonstrate a working knowledge of these issues and how they are related; must be fully pro-choice
Job Type: Full-time
Job Location: San Diego, CA 92108
Send resume and cover letter to Shauna Scherer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population Connection offers fellowships in Washington, D.C. for recent college graduates and graduate students with a special interest in population issues. Each fellow has a responsible role working with a specific department and becomes an essential part of that department’s staff.
Email cover letter, resume, and a brief writing sample (1-3 pages) to email@example.com.
Fellowships are full-time. Compensation is $1,500 (before taxes), paid every two weeks. Fellows earn 3 hours of annual leave and 7 hours of sick leave per pay period. Full medical and dental insurance coverage is offered to fellows who are permanent residents or citizens of the United States.