Sr. Human Resources Specialist
Population Connection (formerly ZPG) is a national non-profit membership organization that works to mobilize broad public support for a sustainable balance of the Earth’s people, environment, and resources.
We seek an experienced Sr. HR Specialist to establish and oversee a one-person HR office for 40+ employees in a midsize nonprofit. The Sr. HR Specialist is supervised by the CFO, and may supervise an assistant. The Specialist will work in our Washington, DC, office, conveniently located between Farragut North and Foggy Bottom Metros.
S/he will also oversee HR matters in our San Diego and Arkansas offices.
Job responsibilities include:
- Maintaining all employee-related records pertaining to background investigations; hiring; promotion; terminating, etc.
- Developing and updating personnel policies and handbook.
- Onboarding new hires and informing current staff about staff training, benefits, schedules, working conditions, employee development, etc.
- Organizing open enrollment process and administering benefits, including maintaining reports.
- Compiling HR data required by local and federal agencies.
- Managing the performance evaluation process.
- Recommending, creating, and leading trainings on employment-related topics, safety, sexual harassment, etc. as needed to ensure a safe, healthy, and diverse work environment.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Current PHR/SPHR certification required.
- At least 5 years’ experience as an HR specialist or HR generalist in a nonprofit or government agency.
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and local existing and proposed laws/regulations affecting human resources management. Ability to interpret appropriate laws and policies and ability to advise management and employees accordingly.
- Committed to the pro-choice agenda and progressive values.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Computer proficiency.
- Proven organizational and management ability.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
Salary and Benefits: Population Connection offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package that includes health and dental coverage, paid vacation and sick leave, paid family leave, and a 401k match.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Employment offers are contingent upon a clear background check.
Please submit a resume and well-written cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
We will contact only those applicants who will be interviewed. No phone calls or walk-ins.
Population Connection is an equal opportunity employer.
Population Connection offers fellowships in Washington, D.C. for recent college graduates and graduate students with a special interest in population issues. Each fellow has a responsible role working with a specific department and becomes an essential part of that department’s staff.
Email cover letter, resume, and a brief writing sample (1-3 pages) to email@example.com.
Fellowships are full-time. Compensation is $1,500 (before taxes), paid every two weeks. Fellows earn 3 hours of annual leave and 7 hours of sick leave per pay period. Full medical and dental insurance coverage is offered to fellows who are permanent residents or citizens of the United States.