Membership Relations Fellow
Population Connection seeks a Membership Relations Fellow to support the Membership Relations & Development teams in their effort to engage Population Connection’s membership base.
Based in Population Connection’s San Diego office, the Development and Membership Relations teams cultivate relationships with donors and encourage their further participation through giving or volunteering.
The primary function for our Membership Relations Fellow will be to assist with outreach and relationship building with our members and prospective members. The Fellow will also perform other general administrative tasks as assigned.
We seek a motivated team player with excellent writing and verbal communication skills. The right candidate will be dedicated to reproductive rights and environmental protection.
Goals and Activities:
- Assisting the with Membership Relations team with outreach, relationship building, and raising awareness about global population growth
- Supporting team with event preparation and outreach
- Conducting research to identify community events suitable for membership involvement, as well as major national events such as marches, rallies, and Earth Day festivals to engage our members
- Supporting team in communicating with members via phone, email, and paper mail
- Monitoring and maintaining general condition of office and office supplies; assisting with general office administration such as processing invoices
- Assisting with special projects based on education, previous experience, and career goals
- Background and interest in global population, reproductive health and rights, or protecting the environment; must be fully pro-choice
- Must be comfortable spending a significant amount of time on the phone
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Previous community organizing and/or activism experience preferred
- Excellent verbal communication and writing skills, and computer proficiency
Paid Fellowship is available October 1, 2017 – March 31, 2018. Position will be full-time with paid health and dental benefits.
How To Apply
Please email your resume and a cover letter explaining why you would be a good fit for this role to Shauna Scherer at email@example.com. Please state “Membership Relations Fellow” in the subject line.
This position will be eligible for health and dental insurance, as well as paid annual and sick leave.
Minimum Education Required
Membership Service Assistant
Population Connection, a membership-based organization with over 40,000 donor-members, is seeking an individual with experience providing exceptional customer service to join the Membership Services Department at its headquarters in Washington, D.C. This department is responsible for all member services activities, including processing donations and annual membership dues.
Primary responsibilities involve a high volume of data entry; administrative support for membership retention, service, and acquisition; database management of member requests via mail, email, and telephone; and a variety of other administrative tasks.
- Strong experience in a member or client services capacity or environment and high volume data entry/database management experience.
- Experience working in a membership services organization/division of a non-profit organization or association is highly preferred.
- Exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills, especially the ability to communicate with individuals in person, on the phone and via email.
- Well-developed problem solving and organizational skills. Must be able to handle multiple projects, tasks, and deadlines with ease, and at the same time be flexible and adapt to changing work priorities.
- Excellent follow-up skills and ability to accurately and quickly proof work product.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office applications and web-based programs are required.
- Candidates with Money Maker database experience will be giving first consideration.
- Minimum AA degree required.
- Typing 55 wpm minimum required.
No calls please.
Email cover letter and resume (letter may be included in the body of the email) to Jessica Duarte, Membership Manager, at Jessica@popconnect.org. Cc. Maria Orozco, Director of Administration and Membership Service, at Maria@popconnect.org. Please reference “Membership Service Assistant” in your subject line.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary: $40,000 – $43,000
Benefits: Health, dental, life insurance, 401k retirement plan with employer match, holiday pay, generous sick pay and annual leave.
Manager of Planned Giving
Population Connection seeks a Manager of Planned Giving to join its San Diego, California development office. The MPG will help to secure funds for the organization by developing and managing a portfolio of planned giving donors and prospects. The MPG will report to the Vice President for Marketing & Development and will work closely with other members of the Membership and Development teams.
The MPG will be responsible for qualifying new planned giving prospects and for building relationships between the donors in her/his portfolio and Population Connection. The MPG will spend a significant amount of time interacting with donors over the phone and writing and responding to donor correspondence.
Population Connection partners with Sharpe Group for its technical expertise in planned giving. Major gift officers with experience relationship-building and securing major gifts are encouraged to apply. We welcome candidates to apply who have strong interpersonal skills, a willingness to engage in multiple phone conversations a day, and an interest in deepening their planned giving knowledge and skills.
About Population Connection
Founded in 1968 and based in Washington, DC, Population Connection is the national grassroots organization seeking to end rapid global population growth. Rapid population growth harms and endangers the lives of women and children around the world and contributes to climate change, over-consumption of natural resources, biodiversity loss, and a host of other environmental problems.
To achieve a sustainable balance between people and our planet, Population Connection advocates at the highest levels of government for universal, affordable access to modern contraception and basic reproductive health care. Our Population Education program trains more than 12,000 teachers and reaches three million students annually to help young people understand how population growth impacts our environment and human well-being.
Population Connection has experienced a period of growth over the past five years, thanks to increased investment from major donors, a growing membership base of 40,000, and a well-established legacy program. The MPG will build a reliable revenue stream from planned gifts over the next five years.
Planned Giving Cultivation, Solicitation, and Stewardship
The primary role for the MPG will be to enhance Population Connection’s planned giving program and to help achieve overall fundraising goals by increasing the number of expected and closed planned gifts through appropriate identification, cultivation, and stewardship. Population Connection has engaged the Sharpe Group to provide consulting and marketing assistance. Duties would include:
- Work with internal marketing team and Sharpe Group consultants to produce effective planned giving promotional materials directed to the appropriate audience within our membership base.
- Respond to and follow up on inquiries from the Sharpe planned giving newsletter and other marketing efforts.
- Build relationships and communicate regularly with planned giving donors and qualified planned giving prospects to ensure high levels of engagement.
- Meet personally when possible and call prospects and donors via telephone (significant phone work will be expected).
- Serve as the primary point of contact for 140+ ZPG Society legacy donors.
- Complete contact reports for each donor meeting and other substantive donor interactions and track all progress within the database.
- Support and work collaboratively with other members of the Development team to increase donors’ knowledge of and interest in planned giving options.
- Review and draft new planned giving policies and procedures as necessary.
- Pursue professional development on an ongoing basis.
- Maintain a working knowledge of Population Connection program priorities and activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Charitable Gift Annuity Program
- Provide Charitable Gift Annuity illustrations for prospective annuitants using PG Calc’s Planned Giving Manager software; draft and disseminate CGA agreements and ensure that all steps are completed for the successful issuance of CGAs.
- Serve as primary point of contact for current gift annuitants, who are also members of the ZPG Society.
- Work with advisors at PNC Bank to maintain up-to-date records for annuitants.
- Assist with filing annual statements in the states where Population Connection is registered to offer CGAs; notify or register in new states as applicable.
- Required: A Bachelor’s degree and 3+ years of experience in fundraising with a proven track record of securing major or planned gifts, or equivalent professional-level experience.
- Preferred: A Master’s degree, advanced certification, or other demonstrable planned giving knowledge.
- Required: A passion for advancing women’s reproductive rights — including access to safe, legal abortion — and for protecting the environment.
- Preferred: Experience working with national advocacy and/or grassroots, membership-based organizations.
- Superb interpersonal, oral, and written communication and presentation skills; demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, comfortably, and respectfully with donors, staff, and volunteers.
- Excellent telephone skills combined with an eagerness to make multiple phone calls every day to establish contact and develop relationships with prospective planned giving donors.
- A high level of comfort working with and visiting seniors.
- Excellent organizational skills; detail oriented with ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and to meet deadlines.
- A confident and professional work style. An ability to take personal initiative and work independently as well as to collaborate with others on donor strategies in a team-oriented approach.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and constituent relationship management databases.
- Ability to travel as well as work occasional overtime or irregular hours.
- Flexibility and a willingness to take on new tasks as the responsibilities of the position may evolve.
Population Connection will provide a salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include a generous annual leave plan, paid holidays, medical, dental, and vision insurance, short-term disability, and a 401K retirement account with matching funds available.
This is a full-time position based in San Diego, CA. We are seeking candidates living in the San Diego area. Relocation benefits will not be provided.
Please email the following documents to Shauna Scherer, Vice President for Marketing & Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “San Diego Manager of Planned Giving” in your subject line. Within your cover letter, please discuss how your past experience and achievements will lead to success in acquiring planned gifts for Population Connection.
- Resume and cover letter (letter may be included in the body of the email).
- Writing sample for which you were the sole author.
- Contact information for three professional references — preferably those who managed your work in the past.
Population Connection offers fellowships in Washington, D.C. for recent college graduates and graduate students with a special interest in population issues. Each fellow has a responsible role working with a specific department and becomes an essential part of that department’s staff.
Email cover letter, resume, and a brief writing sample (1-3 pages) to email@example.com.
Fellowships are full-time. Compensation is $1,500 (before taxes), paid every two weeks. Fellows earn 3 hours of annual leave and 7 hours of sick leave per pay period. Full medical and dental insurance coverage is offered to fellows who are permanent residents or citizens of the United States.