Sr. Human Resources Specialist
Population Connection (formerly ZPG) is a national non-profit membership organization that works to mobilize broad public support for a sustainable balance of the Earth’s people, environment, and resources.
We seek an experienced Sr. HR Specialist to establish and oversee a one-person HR office for 40+ employees in a midsize nonprofit. The Sr. HR Specialist is supervised by the CFO, and may supervise an assistant. The Specialist will work in our Washington, DC, office, conveniently located between Farragut North and Foggy Bottom Metros.
S/he will also oversee HR matters in our San Diego and Arkansas offices.
Job responsibilities include:
- Maintaining all employee-related records pertaining to background investigations; hiring; promotion; terminating, etc.
- Developing and updating personnel policies and handbook.
- Onboarding new hires and informing current staff about staff training, benefits, schedules, working conditions, employee development, etc.
- Organizing open enrollment process and administering benefits, including maintaining reports.
- Compiling HR data required by local and federal agencies.
- Managing the performance evaluation process.
- Recommending, creating, and leading trainings on employment-related topics, safety, sexual harassment, etc. as needed to ensure a safe, healthy, and diverse work environment.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Current PHR/SPHR certification required.
- At least 5 years’ experience as an HR specialist or HR generalist in a nonprofit or government agency.
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and local existing and proposed laws/regulations affecting human resources management. Ability to interpret appropriate laws and policies and ability to advise management and employees accordingly.
- Committed to the pro-choice agenda and progressive values.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Computer proficiency.
- Proven organizational and management ability.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
Salary and Benefits: Population Connection offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package that includes health and dental coverage, paid vacation and sick leave, paid family leave, and a 401k match.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Employment offers are contingent upon a clear background check.
Please submit a resume and well-written cover letter to email@example.com
We will contact only those applicants who will be interviewed. No phone calls or walk-ins.
Population Connection is an equal opportunity employer.
Director of Digital Media
- Manage websites of two organizations (Population Connection and Population Connection Action Fund)
- Create/oversee creation of content for websites
- Manage social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, others as may arise)
- Work with media/communication/advocacy consultants on targeting of digital campaigns
- Work with senior staff to ensure delivery of key content to key audiences
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years professional experience
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Experience with graphic design and visual content creation
- Experience with hands-on social media management
- Proven organizational and management ability
- Knowledge of reproductive health, population, and environmental issues
Salary and Benefits
- We offer competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package that includes health and dental coverage, paid vacation and sick leave, paid family leave, and a 401k match.
Membership Relations Fellow
Population Connection seeks a Membership Relations Fellow to support the Membership Relations & Development teams in their effort to engage Population Connection’s membership base.
Based in Population Connection’s San Diego office, the Development and Membership Relations teams cultivate relationships with donors and encourage their further participation through giving or volunteering.
The primary function for our Membership Relations Fellow will be to assist with outreach and relationship building with our members and prospective members. The Fellow will also perform other general administrative tasks as assigned.
We seek a motivated team player with excellent writing and verbal communication skills. The right candidate will be dedicated to reproductive rights and environmental protection.
Goals and Activities:
- Assisting the with Membership Relations team with outreach, relationship building, and raising awareness about global population growth
- Supporting team with event preparation and outreach
- Conducting research to identify community events suitable for membership involvement, as well as major national events such as marches, rallies, and Earth Day festivals to engage our members
- Supporting team in communicating with members via phone, email, and paper mail
- Monitoring and maintaining general condition of office and office supplies; assisting with general office administration such as processing invoices
- Assisting with special projects based on education, previous experience, and career goals
- Background and interest in global population, reproductive health and rights, or protecting the environment; must be fully pro-choice
- Must be comfortable spending a significant amount of time on the phone
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Previous community organizing and/or activism experience preferred
- Excellent verbal communication and writing skills, and computer proficiency
Paid Fellowship is available October 1, 2017 – March 31, 2018. Position will be full-time with paid health and dental benefits.
How To Apply
Please email your resume and a cover letter explaining why you would be a good fit for this role to Shauna Scherer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state “Membership Relations Fellow” in the subject line.
Benefits: This position will be eligible for health and dental insurance, as well as paid annual and sick leave.
Professional Level: Entry level
Minimum Education Required: 2-year degree
Population Connection offers fellowships in Washington, D.C. for recent college graduates and graduate students with a special interest in population issues. Each fellow has a responsible role working with a specific department and becomes an essential part of that department’s staff.
Email cover letter, resume, and a brief writing sample (1-3 pages) to email@example.com.
Fellowships are full-time. Compensation is $1,500 (before taxes), paid every two weeks. Fellows earn 3 hours of annual leave and 7 hours of sick leave per pay period. Full medical and dental insurance coverage is offered to fellows who are permanent residents or citizens of the United States.