A charitable gift annuity is a simple contract between you and Population Connection.
In exchange for your irrevocable gift of cash, securities, or other assets, Population Connection agrees to pay you or 1-2 other annuitants a fixed sum each year for life. The older your designated annuitants are at the time of the gift, the greater the fixed payments Population Connection can agree to pay. In most cases, part of each payment is tax-free, increasing each payment’s after-tax value.
Payments may be made annually, semiannually, or quarterly.
How it works:
- Step 1: You transfer cash or securities to Population Connection.
- Step 2: Population Connection pays you, or up to two annuitants you name, a fixed income for life.
- Step 3: The principal passes to Population Connection when the contract ends.
- You can have the satisfaction of making a significant gift that benefits you now and Population Connection later.
- Fixed percentage rates: Rates for immediate CGAs are fixed based on the donor’s date of birth at the time the annuity is issued, and will not change, regardless of market fluctuations. For deferred CGAs, payments will be based on the donor’s age at the time of first payment, possibly allowing you to receive a higher rate. As your age increases, the rates available to you do as well. You must be at least 70 years old upon the date of your first payment to participate. So, if you’re currently 65 and want to set up an annuity, you may simply defer payments until you’ve turned 70.
- Secure lifetime payments: exchange a one-time donation (minimum $10,000) for secure monthly payments for you and/or one other person for the rest of your life or lives. If you are interested in establishing a joint gift annuity with your spouse or another person, the younger donor must be at least 70 years of age, and all gift calculations and arrangements will be based on that person’s birth date. Our payments will continue throughout the surviving donor’s life. Payments are backed by a reserve and all of the assets of Population Connection.
- Tax advantages: a portion of the annual payments from your gift annuity would be tax-free for your total life expectancy, and if you itemize your taxes, you would receive a tax deduction for your initial donation this year.
To inquire about establishing a Charitable Gift Annuity with Population Connection, please contact:
Shauna Scherer, VP for Marketing and Development